VOTE: I Want Your Opinions

Aug

In the beginning of 2006 I launched CSSgirl. I moved all the content from my old site (triplelproductions.com) and started CSSgirl Designs with a brand new design. Over time I’ve changed the design a bit, adding and removing sections, images and content.

Since last summer I’ve been planning a redesign, but I just can’t settle on one that I am happy with. So, I would like to have some feedback from the people who visit my site- who see it regularly!

I have four designs that I’ve created that I am deciding between. View them and let me know your opinions – good or bad! Two have already been coded, two are just image mockups:

Vote for your favorite:

(PS: If you vote for “something else entirely”, let me know WHY. otherwise I’m going to remove that choice because I won’t know which direction people are looking for! Your comments won’t hurt my feelings, I promise!)

What Design Should I Run With?

• Dark Rainbow (27%, 20 Votes)
  • Whiteboard (26%, 19 Votes)
  • Watermelon (20%, 15 Votes)
  • Super Serious Dark (8%, 6 Votes)
  • Leave it! (7%, 5 Votes)
  • Use the current design, just make it better. (7%, 5 Votes)
  • Something else ENTIRELY! (5%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 74

Loading ... Loading ...

Voting ends September 1st, 2008.

The three designs I do not choose will be converted into free WordPress themes (and Movable Type too, if I find the time!) :)

Please leave comments with suggestions, criticisms, etc!

10 Responses to VOTE: I Want Your Opinions

1. Lindsey I am torn between Watermelon and Whiteboard. While Whitboard is a departure, Watermelon is an improvement on the current design, much more clean and usable. Really it is going to be how far do you want to go from the current design. I did vote for Watermelon as I believe it represents you best.

Hey Shayne,

Thanks for the feedback, it is really appreciated. I really love Watermelon too. When I originally designed it the goal was to improve this design and have a bit of a difference to it.

But then I also feel that designs like Watermelon and Super Serious Dark don’t have enough of my personality behind them. I almost feel they are too plain! even though that can be a good thing.

Personally my favorite is Whiteboard- but that’s just because it’s the most recent one I’ve been working on. I’m sure in a week I’ll hate it, lol.

Thanks again!

3. Steve says:

I wibbly-wobbled between your Whiteboard and ‘something else’ and eventually went with the latter. What you have to ‘get’ is that us old geezers have a very difficult time with a dark background, even when you use white text. Add to that the fact that nearly 10% of the population is color-blind, and my conclusion is that the simpler the better should be the motto of all designs.

Of course, what we don’t like to do is be dull and boring – and above all we want to avoid looking ‘Web 1.0’-ish. But a sexy, low-contrast site (like gray text on black) comes at a cost.

Just my 2c.

Thanks Steve,

That is extremely helpful. I realize that the light text on a dark background probably isn’t the best scenario for a blog like mine which is mostly text based with long articles.

Very helpful! Thanks again!

5. Paul says:

I’m partial to the watermelon myself, would love to see the contrast of type boosted in some areas though… particularly the article body text, article tags (posted in) and previous article (lsat 6) headers.

I’m on a relatively decent CRT while my LCD’s are being repaired so that may have something to do with the contrast issues. Other than that I really dig the color scheme andlaout.

6. VaX says:

Watermelon or the one currently live :). I’m not really fan of darker releases. Darker mock-up are great works too, but, it’s really subjective, i tought that Watermelon and current version are quite in phase with, you and your writing. More over, readability is easier so… This is just a french webdesigner poor advice, in a poor english :)

7. Scarf*oo says:

Dark Rainbow is the most readable and also the most pleasant to the eye if you ask me, but I like your current design the most. With some tweaks here and there you could make the most out of your time, while refining (realigning anyone?) an already “settled” design into something fresh and even more usable. Do not redesign just for the sake of redesigning ;)

re: Paul: I agree with you on Watermelon – on my LCD at home the pink background for the sidebar is very, very light and you can’t see it too well. On my flat panel at work though, which has the glossy screen it looks really good.

re: VaX: No worries about the English :) I understand what you are saying. I want to keep the feel of the current design, but update to where I am now, and something a bit more clean.

re: Scarf*oo: Well, I’ve realigned this site several times, but really it’s time for a brand new design. I’ve grown a lot of a developer and designer since I released this version of CSSgirl. I’m not designing just for the sake of redesigning – I really need something different. The IA I have going on here isn’t very good, I need to better organize myself and the site and the message I want to put out. I’m not so worried about the amount of time it will take, I just want to have something fresh, fun (and girly ;P) and organized that will make both me and visitors happy.

9. I like the darkrainbow design which is easier to read, but I like the layout of whiteboard better.

10. Matt says:

I would have to say #2, definitely a nice layout. very easy to follow, and has a nice flow.