We are never satisfied with our blog software or CMS – it’s almost like an unwritten rule. We are constantly awaiting new updates and features, and when they come they are never good enough. It’s why the age old debate of WordPress vs. Movable Type exists, and why there is never one clear winner.
So what do we really want in our Content Management Systems?
For myself I would love to see the following capabilities:
- Sweet templating system (a la WordPress)
- Comments (preferably threaded, with an easy way to distinguish admins)
- Statistics built in (post views, exit points, referrers, # of subscriptions
- Kick ass spam management
- Easy image uploading (multiple images) – (haven’t used WP 2.5 yet to test their version of this)
- Category systems that allow you to better organize categories.
- Better back-end user interface (no winners: Movable Type, WordPress, Joomla, Expression Engine, Textpattern, etc all fail in some points)
- Better draft and published posts editing panels
- Better documentation
- Multiple blog/site support
So, what do you want and/or need of your CMS? What doesn’t it do right now that you wish it did? What does it do, but you wish it did better?