Your Ideal CMS: What’s In It?

May

We are never satisfied with our blog software or CMS – it’s almost like an unwritten rule. We are constantly awaiting new updates and features, and when they come they are never good enough. It’s why the age old debate of WordPress vs. Movable Type exists, and why there is never one clear winner.

So what do we really want in our Content Management Systems?

For myself I would love to see the following capabilities:

• Sweet templating system (a la WordPress)
  • Comments (preferably threaded, with an easy way to distinguish admins)
  • Statistics built in (post views, exit points, referrers, # of subscriptions
  • Kick ass spam management
  • Easy image uploading (multiple images) – (haven’t used WP 2.5 yet to test their version of this)
  • Category systems that allow you to better organize categories.
  • Better back-end user interface (no winners: Movable Type, WordPress, Joomla, Expression Engine, Textpattern, etc all fail in some points)
  • Better draft and published posts editing panels
  • Better documentation
  • Multiple blog/site support

So, what do you want and/or need of your CMS? What doesn’t it do right now that you wish it did? What does it do, but you wish it did better?

6 Responses to Your Ideal CMS: What’s In It?

1. Brandon St. Germaine says:

I would love to see a CMS that has a templating system geared towards CSS developers. An end output that is HTML compliant, with semantically easy-to-style markup. Something like CSS Zen Garden.

I realize that almost any CMS could be strongarmed into doing this, but I don’t think any of them are developed with this cocnept in mind.

Very true – a good CMS though who has standards compliancy in mind is TextPattern. I like to use it for simpler projects, for clients who are a little more web savvy than average because the learning curve for the admin panel IMHO is a little harder than something like WordPress or Movable Type.

# Easy image uploading (multiple images) – (havenít used WP 2.5 yet to test their version of this)

I used it. It’s nice, but not exactly what I was looking for :(

4. AB says:

Haven’t used it but for the non-savvy Cushy CMS looks interesting. Thinking about using it so some of my lawyer friends I’m doing a website for can change certain text blocks as they need to and also for the front-page of my wifes gymnastics school website.

(http://www.cushycms.com/)

5. Freddy says:

I have been using WordPress as a CMS for my clients. To date it has performed well beyond my first expectations.

I’ve tried using other CMS’s unsuccessfully and always end up going back to WordPress.

I love it.

6. Jojo says:

Hello Li,

Now, this blog is made with ¬Ņ? Textpattern?

Bye.